Monday, June 15, 2009

I did it...and I'll do it again

So today was my big day. The dreaded day of returning to work after spending 10 wonderful weeks with Zachary. It just went by so quickly and didn't seem quite long enough. I tried so hard over the past couple of days not to think about it and just enjoy the time I had at home.

The inevitable happened as the alarm began to sound this morning. But for some reason Dave and I believed it was a day like any other that we leisurely rose from bed to get ready for work. Some how it had slipped our minds that there was a little 12 pound being that needed to be fed, changed, dressed and packed; in addition to us each having a shower, coffee, and breakfast. Oh, did I mention that Dave also had to pack to leave for his week in Rhode Island. All you pros out there are probably getting a good laugh out of this one. Dave was making a mad dash to the door to beat rush hour traffic as he said to me, "I don't know how you are going to get ready with him." Hmmm...well maybe if you hadn't snoozed the alarm 16 times I would have been up and showered already!!! Well, let me tell you...I did it!! And I'll do it again tomorrow too!

I was okay packing the baby. I was okay driving the car. I was okay thinking the entire was to the sitters that I could do it and I was fine. Then...the pass off came. I carried the car seat and diaper bag into Wendy's house. Seems simple enough. Leave the babe with one of your bestestes and her kiddos and go to work. One might think so. But, I fought back the tears as I told her were the breast milk was and what was in the diaper bag. I kissed my Zach and her two little ones and made a run for it. I feared if I didn't go and go fast I might not make it.
Don't get me wrong I do love what I do. Part of me was so ready to go back to work and feel like professional again. Deep down I actually knew I would enjoy my day at the office. But that was my baby I was handing over. My very own child that I carried for nine months, who I have spent almost every moment with for the last 72 days!




As you can see from the picture - he had an absolutely terrible time today! He looks miserable - just as I supected!! Not really! Look at him. Zach had a great time today hanging with the kids - that kept him very entertained. He was also pooped when he got home. He was down for the count at 9pm and that was after about a 45 minute nap when we got home around 5:30. Nanny Wendy is the best and made sure to send me video and pictures today while I was working. That made all the difference in the world knowing he was happy. Oh look at that face! I just want to kiss him and kiss him and kiss him!

I also had a nice day. It felt good to return to the hotel and see my staff I felt like I was giving a little more than clean diapers and milk on tap! Two other preggos now...it must be in the water there! That is 4 out of 10 in the last year...and the 10 is the entire staff not just the girls!

Tomorrow I will set the alarm just a little earlier, and shed a few less tears. I again I will be thankful for the great hands my son is in. But - when the day is over I will be so happy to see him again.

Today I did it...and tomorrow I'll do it again!

1 comment:

  1. great blog Tess! All so true...we've all been there & you (and Zach) will be A-ok! xo!Beth

    ReplyDelete