Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Service? Hospitality? What's That? RANT...

So, I have been back to work for almost two weeks. For those of you that don't know, I manage a Marriott hotel and must live and breath service and hospitality. I will pause a moment and toot my horn and let you all know that my hotel has had platinum level service scores for a year and running! Yes. I walk the walk and talk the talk.

Now I have to wonder what happened to the service and hospitality everywhere else? Are my expectations too high when I am paying for a service? Do I think I deserve more? Is it me? And what about the little guys trying to stay afloat these days? Does anyone notice? Has it really become truly a dog eat dog world and everyone is out for their own self or is Dave right when he says I am a little short fused with people when we are out?

I am really at a loss. The other day Dave and I were in Lowe's looking for a very specific gift for my father. As we walked through the isle two associates were talking to one another and when I said excuse to get by NO ONE moved! Yes, I said "don't bother to move and no we don't need your help BUT thank you for asking!!" I would be EMBARRASSED if something like this happened in my hotel. Its not just Lowe's. It's everywhere. Dare I say it...it tends to be the big names with deep pockets that are the worst!!

The economy is bad folks. There are 100 or more people just waiting for the jobs that we already have...and yet this goes on and no one seems to care.

Which brings me to my next point. The little guys are taking a beating. The small business with a big heart can't survive these days. They don't have deep pockets for advertising and carrying payroll. I am a member of NiniBambini, a maternal wellness center here in Bedford. They provide MAGNIFICENT groups for mom's to be and new mom's. They also have a small retail shop that sell very wonderful products for mom's and babies. They have truly made my transition into motherhood much easier. Nini says she wanted a place that stressed Mom's could come to and say, "ahhhh." She did it. However, in this tough economy she struggles to keep the doors open. These ladies provide a haven for the woman that come there. They go above and beyond to take care of their members. Come anytime they say. Call us if you are crying at work. We'll help!! They don't just want to make money - they love what they do! They serve and care. Why Why Why are there not more people in the world like this? And why are these the ones having the hardest time?

I'm fighting back my friends!! My family lives on a tight budget these days too. I know we all do. However, I am done with the service fight. YOU ARE NOT GETTING MY BUSINESS ANY MORE BAD GUYS!! I believe I (and you) deserve to be treated well when you are paying for a service. If you don't want to do that for me then I won't be back! I encourage all of you to do the same. I am grateful for the job I have and that it is in a hotel brand that leads the world in truly exceptional service. If you visit me...I promise to deliver that to you!

You will have to excuse my RANTING blog for today. This has really been bothering me, and I seem to notice things a lot more now for two reasons:

1. The purse is a little (ok a lot) tighter these days making value very important

2. I have a baby now and I want my son to grow up with manners and respect for others.


And - here is a picture of America's future! Let's teach these babies right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment